Learning Techology for the 21 Century

Learning Techology for the 21 Century

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tool 10

Exploring Mobile Techology and Apps.

Last year my hubby and I bought two i-pods when we heard that it had educational apps for children.


I feel in love with the i-pod because my twin boys were able to use it and learn from it. It is so easy to use and I was impress that at the time my boys who were 4 years old were able to handle the i-pod with no problem at all. They were exploring it and feel in love with it as well. The free apps they used were ABC phonics, hangman, Clifford,Letter Tracer, Vocabulary Cards.


Then we bought some apps that only cost 99 cents. The most popular ones are at a reasonable price too. The apps store has a preview screen where you can decide if you like the app or not. My sons and I view that when they choose something to add on the i-pod. This is a great tool and kids love it. They can also watch educational videos, and listen to books which are nice when I am driving and the kiddos are in the back sit staying busy getting educated on the go with their i-pod.

Towards the last month of the school year I was able to introduce to my class the i-pods. I would take my class to the library and they were able to use free applications in math that related to the lessons we had learn in class. The apps we used that were free were about math facts, clocks, shapes, puzzles, money. They enjoy it and had a great time working on the applications. The class was posted on the district snapshots.

I can't wait to use the i-pods in my classroom. During math workstations time I will have a group work on them to reinforce something that they have learn that week. In Language Arts I would place the i-pods in the listening center. I discovered that with a gadget called rock star adaptor. This adaptor helps connect several i-pods so that several students can work together and listen to one storybook. Can wait to start this school year that is fast approaching.
The i-pod as have a voice memo where you can have a student record his or her voice when reading a book. Then the student can hear his voice and notice how he or she sounds. This helps with fluency.



The i-pad is also great! I have a nephew who has one. I had a chance to work on it. It is the same as the i-pod but the only difference is that the screen is bigger.








1 comment:

  1. Maria, you are such a great teacher and mommy! Your kiddos (at home and at school) really benefit from your willingness to try new things. I hope that I am always as open to new ideas as you are. :)

    ReplyDelete