Learning Techology for the 21 Century

Learning Techology for the 21 Century

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Reflections

I love all the tools in my personal technology toolbox. All the tools I learned are amazing. I can't wait to teach them to my students. I can't point out one favorite because I really had a fun time working on all of them. These tools will benefit my teaching in the classroom. Students will be engaged even more in the classroom.

My particular activity I will do first is showing my students a you tube video and Jing . I will teach my students about the rules of digital citizenship. It is very important to first go over the rules of techology before learning all the tools. Jing is an important tool where I can have the students help me find images of rules that we will need when we are in cyberspace We will create a screencast with information on the do's and don'ts in the cyberworld. The students can add their voice to the information. Then the students can send it to the the principal or librarian. The students can have a discussion about digital citizenship on Skype with other first graders in the district. So many ideas come to mine!
At the beginning of the year my class and I create a Constitution of rules for the classroom and outside the classroom when we are at school. I will now also include one for digital citizenship. It is very important for the students to know all the rules of the Internet before stepping into the world of cyberspace.

My thinking about learning with tech tools is it's about time that students from a young age are aware of all the new gadgets that are out their for them to explore. I had realized that you have to give students more freedom to express themselves using these need tools. Nevertheless with the freedom they need to follow the safety rules that are going to be in forced in my classroom. So the most important tool is following the safety rules.
Towards the end of the school last year I wanted my students to be more exposed to the Apple computers and i-pods. After the students watched a safety video on when working on a tech gadget they would go the library to work on the i-pods. I can't wait to have the i-pods in the classroom.
The only unexpected outcomes from this program that surprise me was having trouble downloading my storytelling in my blog. Along the way there will be some difficulties but never give up.

2 comments:

  1. Your last statement about technology always having some difficulties is so true. That is something we will just have to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to come visit your classroom! You have so much excitement and posess perseverance. I know you'll be integrating 21st century skills with your students!

    ReplyDelete